Recipe Alert! Everyday high protein gluten free breakfast

No time?

This is a nice, easy way to get in a quality breakfast. I make a batch on Sunday afternoon so I have 5 portions for the weekdays-toss into a portable container and go!

yummy goodness!

yummy goodness!

Egg White Spinach bake

The players:

-3.75 c. liquid pasteurized egg white (I use Egg Whites International) I buy 2 gallons at a time.
-16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
-a nice sized handful of julienne sun dried tomatoes
-sea salt to taste

The game:

Combine the above and pour into casserole dish. Mine is about 13×9, and I cook it at 400 in a convection oven for 30 minutes. (Usually I’ve also got a bunch of chicken breasts in there too-batch cooking on weekends is a big help when it comes to having good food easily and quickly available during the week-so instead of heating up the oven for one meal, I get a bunch)

-This makes 5 portions, approximately 20 grams of protein each. You could certainly vary the amounts to make it fit your needs, and add in all kinds of goodies. For a family brunch I added in some turkey sausage and low fat cheddar cheese.

This version gives a good baseline to work with. My breakfast always starts with this. Then depending on the day, I may also have 35 grams (1/2 cup) of Cream Hill Estates Lara’s Rolled Oats with berries and a packet of Now Foods Stevia Balance with some cinnamon and a sprinkle of Navitas Naturals Raw Chocolate Powder and some sliced almonds or crushed walnuts.
Other days I may add an ounce of goat or feta cheese. That depends on my activity level. If I’m more active that day, weight training, lots of activity, then I’ll go for the carbs as I’ve “earned them” so to speak. If not, maybe stay a little lower carb and go for the cheese, maybe add a piece of fruit.

After you’ve cooked this up, separate it into equal portions, and the night before work I put into a pyrex container. At work, micro for 1 minute and a half, and you have a portable, healthy, high protein breakfast to get you started.

This recipe is linked to Cara’s Cravings Heart Healthy Breakfast Roundup. ┬áIf you would like more information on living a healthy Gluten Free Life, check out Gluten Free and Fit 101 to get started!

Filed Under: celiac diseaseGluten Freenutritionrecipes

1. Nicole says:

What a great base recipe. Great blog and recipes in general, too! I discovered you via JCD Fitness – he was right, you don’t need to be celiac to appreciate it!

Hi Nicole and welcome!
    Thank you very much!
    I do put a bit of a celiac spin on things, but I’m glad you like the blog. Most of the time it’s just common sense stuff :)

3. Aerie says:

Sounds like a great recipe! Question about the sundried tomatoes – do you use dried or canned? If you use dried, do you reconstitute them first by soaking in hot water?
    Thanks!

Great question! I use the dried sundried tomatoes, and I do not reconstitute them first. I find they plump up during the cookig process by absorbing the egg. If using them in other applications, yes I would absolutely reconstitute.
    Enjoy!

5. Jess says:

Looks awesome! Can I freeze this in individual containers to use throughout the week?

6. Norma says:

I am enjoying reading your site very educational and easy to read. I love this recipe. Question, where do I buy gallons of egg whites? It would be nice NOT so say good bye to egg yolks :-)

Hi Norma!
    I have bought gallons of egg whites from Egg Whites International. You can also certainly buy cartons of egg whites at your local grocery. I like the 100% egg white ones, not the “egg beaters” that have added thickeners and color. You can sometimes find them on sale and it is quite cost effective, and they freeze just fine. Thanks for your kind words!

8. [...] your needs: “Ridiculously High Protein High Fiber Gluten Free Muffin Recipe“, “Everyday High Protein Gluten Free Breakfast“, “Power Bars“, and Gluten Free Dairy Free, High Protein French [...]

9. Barb Schneider says:

CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY OTHER HIGH PROTEIN ITEMS W/O WHEY? IAM HAVING SURGERY IN A MONTH AND I NEED TO GET MORE PROTEIN IN ME. I AM CELIAC FOR GOING ON 4 YRS. THANK YOU.