Weekend Roundup-Celiac, Gluten Free, and Nutrition News-The Absentminded Edition

Some of you already know this, but I am getting married this next weekend.  (See! Absentminded. 10/10/10 to be exact.)

I generally keep my personal life, well, personal, and off the blog for the most part.  But this is kind of a big deal.

We are traveling to Tennessee, just me and Jeff and Tess (our dog,) renting a cabin, and getting married on the top of a mountain.  Then next weekend we’re coming home and having a party with our family and friends.

Courtesy the Smokies Blog

So I’ve been a little scattered.

But never fear, I’ve been collecting snippets of fun stuff and cool articles to share with you.

And also never fear, I will give a report with a few pictures when we return.  And I’m very excited that we’ll have a cake from Pam’s Gluten Free at the party.

Onward!

Celiac News:

• Study Shows Celiac Disease Can Develop Later in Life- Interesting article in USA Today, of all places.  Basically discussing the idea that environmental triggers may outweigh the genetic susceptibility for celiac disease.  They surveyed the SAME people (that’s important) in 1974, 1989, and every 2 years until 2007.  “Researchers found that the incidence of celiac disease doubled every 15 years since 1974 and that the incidence increased as subjects aged, with some developing the disease in their 50s or 60s.”  Interesting stuff.  Especially for those of us who have parents who are displaying symptoms of celiac disease but will not give up gluten.  (Yes, Mom, I’m talking to you.  I love you.  Step away from the bread!)
  • Gluten, Glutamate and Celiac Disease- Dr. Vikki Petersen weighs in on neurological issues and the relationship to gluten.  This post gets a little sciency, but I definitely recommend you read it.  I found it especially interesting as I use L-glutamine, and wrote a post about it’s use in healing the gut. Dr. Vikki as usual does a great job of making the sciency bits a little easier to understand.  Bottom line: glutamate (found in MSG, and also naturally occurring) and L-glutamine MAY be irritating to those who have neurological dysfunction.  As always, your mileage may vary. Be educated, and make your own decisions with your doctor.  Quoting Dr. Vikki in a response to a comment: “L-glutamine is beneficial for some and can be healing to the gut. The point I was trying to make in my post is to assess yourself for any possible risk factors first.  If you have neurological disease or a strong family history then you may not wish to consume it. If you have a strong negative reaction to MSG that may be a warning sign as well.  In my 25 years of clinical experience I and my team have found some patients do quite well on L-glutamine while others seem to have no response to it and still others “disliked” it. Now we know why it may be a source of aggravation for some and I think some caution in the area is warranted.

Gluten Free News:

• Diane at Balanced Bites posted a recipe for Crustless Pumpkin Pie.  Looks Fan-Freaking-Tastic.  Even though it’s not chocolate, I will have to give this a whirl.
  • My good friend Shirley at Gluten Free Easily (gfe) posted a guest article from Cheryl Harris.  This is a refreshingly honest kick in the pants reminder that healthier treats are still treats, and must be consumed in moderation.  That eating real food, in realistic portion sizes, can help us stay healthy, wealthy, and wise. (OK, I made up that last bit.  Read it anyway.)

Almond and Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies

Coconut Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

Nutrition News:

• This post contains a bit of colorful language, but is a great read.  Eating Out = Eating Junk. You certainly can eat junk, but you don’t have to, and it’s not hard.  You can eat very well when dining out.
  • My friend and web guru JC has stirred up quite the controversy with his Clean Eating is a Scam series.  It brings a very bright light to the idea of critically thinking about what goes into your mouth, not relying on labels.  I’m as guilty as the next person for referring to food as “clean” now and again, but it does NOT define what I eat.  Use your brains, people.  We have them for a reason.  Very interesting how emotional people get when their beliefs about food are called into question.  Check it out.  Here’s Part 1 and Part 2 (why Clean Eating is Still a Scam.)

Have a healthy week!

And as an aside-I was listening to the playlist I’ve made up for our not-really-a-wedding-reception party, and Bruce Springsteen’s Tunnel of Love is on there.  Read Why Celiac Disease is a Gift and Bruce Springsteen is a poet. Drug up from the archives ;)

Filed Under: article round upceliac diseaseGluten Freenutrition

1. Kim says:

Woohooo!! Congrats Erin!!! :) Have a wonderful weekend!

2. Congrats, Erin!! Have a wonderful time! The day I married Joe everything was just perfect – I know it will be the same for you.

Thanks Amy! It will be a very fun trip, I’m sure. A trip to an apple orchard and hiking are on the menu as well :)

Thanks Kim! Hard to believe it’s here. We’re still trying to figure out how we’re going to pack the dress and all our stuff in the care with Tess and her bed :) Dress takes up a lot of space!

5. Oh, Erin, I’m so very happy that your big day is almost here! The Smokey Mtns this time of year will be beyond beautiful and I know you all will be equally gorgeous for your wedding with those big smiles plastered on your faces (even the dog!) and the fall foliage as a backdrop! That party with friends and family to return to sounds awesome, too. :-) I just read your comment about your dress taking up a lot of space. Woohoo, sounds like you got a true girly dress … good for you!

Thanks for sharing my link and the rest look wonderful, too!

Much love and best wishes,
    Shirley

Hi Shirley!
    We are so looking forward to the trip. The leaves should be changing, and we will certainly get some hiking in.
    The dress-it’s strapless and fitted through the bodice, but it has A LOT of skirt :) I have a crinoline and the whole 9.
    Thanks YOU for posting great stuff I get to link to!

7. Erin, congratulations, my friend! Sending you wonderful wedding wishes and years full of love and happiness!
    A beautiful post and I love this week’s round-up!!
    I actually was put into pre-term labor at 32 weeks because I ate at a Chinese Restaurant that I later found out used mega-doses of MSG. I have always known that it messes with me from the time I was a kid and would eat Chinese food (growing up in San Fran we ate at a lot of Chinese Rest.) So when I was preggo I tried to be really careful. This restaurant originally claimed that they did not use it, but then retracted that comment. Anyway, it landed me in the hospital for a couple of days while they tried to stop my labor. Since then, I avoid it like the plague!!!!
    Have an even more interesting story about my youngest son and L-glutamine! My naturopath gave us an L-glutamine supplement to use as a gut-healing aid. I was putting it in our smoothies. Within one week of using it, my husband and oldest son were doing better than I have EVER seen either of them, but my youngest (3 year old) had developed the worst stutter I had ever heard. Later found out that the L-glutamine was working too well and had over-stimulated his whole neuro-pathways. Within one week of stopping the supplement his stuttering went away!! It was a very interesting episode for us, to say the least.
    Anyway, Hugs to you! And best wishes.
    xo
    Kim
    Sorry for the novel! Just has to share

8. AmandaonMaui says:

I’m so happy for you! Remember to have fun. So many women forget that their wedding day is about being with their partner and having fun like they always did before.

As to the eating clean article, summary: It’s all about the bulk of what you eat. That’s what my partner is always telling me!

Thanks Amanda! I’m sure we’ll have a great time.

Hey Kim!
    I dig the novel. You can write novels over here whenever you desire :)
    Thanks for sharing that about the MSG. Another item that I have heard is that many Chinese restaurants will say “no ADDED MSG” but the ingredients they use already have MSG in them. Very misleading.
    And really interesting about your son as well! Just another example that we are all metabolic snowflakes…

11. Karina says:

Congratulations and blessings on your marriage! Love and health to both of you, Karina

I made a playlist on my Ipod for our party today (in lieu of having a traditional wedding reception, we are having a party for our family and friends) and "Coyote" by Joni (not Joan ;) Mitchell is on there. I will raise a toast to you during that song!

13. Alta says:

I know I’m a bit behind, but CONGRATULATIONS! I’m sure your wedding was beautiful. :)

Thank you Alta! It was, we had a wonderful day.